Re: GCC for Siemens C165

I believe that the GPL requires you to provide the source for ALL
code linked with GPL code.

It does not require you to give source away for code linked to LGPL code.

GCC/EGCS and Binutils are all GPL.
the C runtime library is LGPL.

If they wrote application/monitor code for the C165 that did not rely on
GCC sources,that can be propritary.

If you purchase the package then they have to give you all GCC
sources on request. The fee can not be in excess of the costs of copying.
If you recieve these sources then you have the right to redistribute them
with out any restriction.

If you don't purchase the package... the release of source to you is a bit
fuzzy...  I've heard it argued both ways.

Search on www.dejanews.com for the gnu dicsussion news group
where you can read endless discussions of this very topic.

Paul

Paul