IDE-Harddiskdriver for MCUs

Hello,

in a project I plan to connect a Flash memory card to a microcontroler
(68376). The Flash-card have an IDE-connector and it seems to me it is not
very difficult to connect it to a MCU. It is also not a big problem to
write a software which read/write some sectors from the Flashcards (or
Harddisk!). It is an other thing to implement a filesystem. But I think
there exists the following:

1. The glibc for my MCU with everything I need execpt the low level routines.
2. The source code of Linux with well implemented VFAT/FAT-Driver.

So the question is, if it is possible to adapt the Linux-drivers to use
them in an embedded application. I am sure it is very usefull for many
people to have a real harddisk/filesystem in there embedded systems. So the
first question is, if there is already a solution for this problem?! If
not, the other questions are:

1. Are there other persons who thinks it is interesting and usefull?
2. Are there other persons who can help to realize this idea?

Greetings

Kai

Dipl.-Phys. Kai Schaeffer      Schaeffer Apparatebau KG
Pasewaldtstr. 7                Tel. +49-30-80902151
14169 Berlin                   FAX: +49-30-80902153
http://www.schaeffer-apparatebau.de