Re: underscore - coff vs. aout

On Mon, Jul 12, 1999 at 01:44:04PM -0600, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
>   In message <852567AC.0059EF97.00@notes4.nmss.com>you write:
>   >
>   >
>   > I have a number of assembly files with symbols written with a underscore
>   > prepended so that they will link with .c files compiled for a.out format.
>   > I was thinking of changing to coff format, and I would like to know if
>   > there was a way to compile the .c files for coff so that they would still
>   > link correctly to the assembly files (that is, with prepended underscores).
>   > Changing every symbol would be a large undertaking, and I would like to
>   > avoid it if possible.
>   > Any suggestions?
> gcc-2.95 has support for building code with and without leading underscores
> on some targets which might help.
>
> Or you could always write a program which sucks in a .o/.a, renames all
> the symbols, then writes a new .o/.a.  It's just a series of hacks to objcopy.

Doesn't objcopy support symbol renaming?  You could just write a script
to call objcopy for each symbol.  If it's just a one-time shot, no big
deal.

   Cheers,
   Jake

--
   janovetz@uiuc.edu    | Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with
 University of Illinois | your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been,
        PP-ASEL         | http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~janovetz/index.html