Re: object file format problem

biguo@263.net wrote:

> Hello,everyone!aout,coff and elf are three object file format,but > S-Records,H-Records also are object file format.What are differencies between >them?Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm not familiar with H-records, but I consider S-records to be more of
a load-image format than an object file format.  aout, coff and elf
represent increasingly complex object file formats that have been
developed over time to carry more information and allow greater
capabilities in linking and loading.  Things like program section
attributes, symbol information, more complex relocation capabilities are
the kinds of things that have developed.  S-records are essentially a
memory load image that has been turned into printable strings to allow
being sent over a normal terminal interface for downloading purposes.
aout comes from the earliest Unix systems.  Coff (Common Object File
Format) was developed by Bell Labs for System V Unix.  Elf derives from
more recent Unix systems.

Art