FYI: gdb-4.18 + target ARM (or Thumb) used with Angel + Debian GNU/Linux

    Christian> FYI: gdb-4.18 will not work with the configuration
    Christian> above, if not patched!

    Christian> I have been trying to get target debugging to work with
    Christian> Atmel evaluation board featuring the ARM7TDMI
    Christian> processor.  The command "target rdi /dev/ttyS0" didn't
    Christian> work in gdb-4.18.

    Christian> The problem was that normal Linux systems use /dev/cua0
    Christian> as the first serial port, but Debian GNU/Linux 2.1
    Christian> (which I use) use /dev/ttyS0 instead. I did try to make
    Christian> a soft link, like: ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/cua0 But, it
    Christian> didn't solve the problem. The serial port to use is
    Christian> hard coded! So, I changed the right source code file to
    Christian> use /dev/ttyS0 instead of /dev/cua0. And, now it works!

It definately needs to be fixed to take the device as a command line
parameter, or in a .gdbrc file.

    Christian> If you are using Red Hat Linux, you will not need any
    Christian> patching!

If you are also using mgetty/vgetty on that port, you certainly will
need the patch, as the mgetty lockfile conventions require that ttyS0
be used, and *NEVER* cua0 (or any other name for that same port).
Violating this convention will render dial-in and dial-out on the same
line inoperable.

--
--------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------
R. J. Brown III  rj@elilabs.com http://www.elilabs.com/~rj  voice 847 543-4060