Re: Motorola HC11 Back-end

Hi,

I am on the gcc steering committee and am the architect/maintainer of
RTEMS. I can help out here. :)

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:

> I downloaded gcc-2.9.5 sources yesterday and built a native
> compiler, but after adding my m6811 directory under the config
> directory and attempting to build a cross-compiler, it fails
> miserably.  I am aware that the 2.9.5 version is now the EGCS
> compiler, but am currently at a loss as to how to proceed to port
> the HC11 stuff to it (I don't know what the major changes are from
> 2.8.1 to 2.9.5).

There were changes to the organization and backend of gcc between gcc
2.8.1 and gcc 2.95.  The good news is that it is now very easy to build a
cross compiler with multiple language suppport (C++, Fortran, Chill, Java,
etc).

> If it's the wrong mailing list for this sort of question, please
> point me to the right place.

The egcs@sourceware.cygnus.com list is the best place for help on this
one.  You should be able to start by copying your gcc-2.8.1/config/6811 to
gcc-2.9.5/gcc/config/6811 and tinkering with gcc/configure.in and
configure.  That should get you started on finding out what actually
broke.

> Also, if anyone knows how to go about getting the HC11 back-end
> added to the GCC sources permanently, I'm all ears.  If it's just
> a procedural thing, then lets gets started.  I have e-mail addresses
> for all the contributors, but don't know how long they'll all be
> valid.

Each of the authors will need to do a copyright assignment to the Free
Software Foundation.  I think that www.gnu.org and egcs.cygnus.com have
information on doing this.  It will NOT be merged into gcc until this is
done.

I want to applaud you for pulling all this together.  The 6811 has floated
a long time in limbo.

> Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM@tc.fluke.com
> Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin
> "Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown

--joel
   Support Available             (256) 722-9985