Re: BFD Documentation?

   From: Jeff Hammond <j.hammond@cputech.com>
   Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 09:59:20 -0700

   > I am trying to build a cross compiler using cygwin for a 1750A
   > target.  I get hung up during the configure phase because
   > there is no BFD support for the 1750A in bfd/config.bfd (the 2.95
   > version of bfd/config.bfd has the same problem).  I
   > can't find any docs on what BFD is or how to add
   > to it so I have to figure this out by looking at the source code
   > and hacking in 1750A support, which is slow.
   >
   > If someone can point me to the docs for BFD that would be
   > helpful.

That's right, there is no BFD support for the 1750A.  Nobody has
contributed the code.

You can find some sketchy BFD documentation in bfd/doc/bfdint.texi in
the development sources.  You can find the development sources on
    http://sourceware.cygnus.com/binutils

You will need to add full assembler and linker support in order to use
a cross-compiler.  This is not a minor job.

   > Based on the GCC docs I have seen on the 1750A it seems
   > that this used to work.  What happened?

There has never been an 1750A port in the official GNU binutils.
Perhaps there is some port somewhere, but it was never contributed.

Ian