Re: ARM Linux HOST, ARM Vxworks Target.

>I have a Netwinder which is an ARM processor with Linux.
>I want to build a 'cross-compiler' for an ARM7TDMI with
>both thumb and ARM code generation.  This would need to
>be COFF output with the VxWorks libraries.
>
>Can I just copy the VxWorks libraries from an x86 system
>and substitute this for the newlib building?

I'm not really familiar with VxWorks but I imagine this should be OK.  If the
required ABI for libraries has changed it ought to be mentioned in the
documentation.

>I don't think that this is really building a cross compiler
>as my host and target are sharing the same instruction set,
>but different OS's.

Technically, it is still a cross compiler and you still have to configure it
as such.

>I wish to evaluate the code generation improvement over the
>2.7.9-970819 compiler.  Would I be more wise to get an egcs
>version?

No; gcc 2.95.1 supplants the egcs-1.x releases.

>The compiler on the Netwinder is 2.8.1, but I am quite sure
>it produces elf output.

Yes.  The NetWinder ships with a modified version of gcc 2.8.1 to which ARM/
ELF support was added.

>If I wish to build a cross compiler for NT with an VxWorks
>ARM target would it be better to use an x86 linux or the ARM
>linux (or no different)?

I don't really understand what you're getting at here.

p.