Re: ICD BDM, gdb, and error 613 on 68331

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Aaron J. Grier wrote:

> Having spent two weeks struggling with a badly wired BDM interface, my
> company finally sprang for a couple official motorola-blessed ICD BDM
> interfaces.  The DOS software works fine.  I was able to find
> linux-specific device driver and patches to gdb 4.18 at
> http://cmp.felk.cvut.cz/~pisa/m683xx/bdm_driver.html for the ICD
> interface, but it doesn't work quite right:
>
> (gdb) bdm_reset
> (gdb) x 0
> 0x0:    0xffffffff
> [ so far, so good.  Let's start poking at the SIM: ]
> (gdb) set *(short *)0xfffa00 = 0x62ff
> Error accessing memory address 0xfffa00: Unknown error 613.
> [ here's where all hell breaks loose... ]
> (gdb) x 0
> 0x0:    Error accessing memory address 0x0: Unknown error 613.
> [ and here every memory access is wedged with the same error until the
>   next bdm_reset ]
>
> I can run the DOS P&E ICD32 program (as shipped with the ICD BDM
> interface) under dosemu and everything works as expected.  Until the SIM
> is configured under ICD32, I get the message "BERR Terminated bus
> cycle - Debugger Supplied DSACK" but I can still program the SIM and do
> things like initializing my chip selects, and get on with running
> actual code.  I can even initialize chip selects under ICD32, and then
> load and run under gdb under linux, but this is a real pain in the ass.
>
> Before I smack myself against the wall of code that is the gdb BDM
> backend, is anybody else using the ICD BDM interface with BDM under
> linux?  (What patches are you using?)  Is anybody else having the same
> problems?  Has anybody solved these problems?  (how?)  Cygnus -- can you
> sell me a solution?  (how much will it cost?)

I am using it. I have heavily modified original Gunter Magin's patches.
I am using gdb 4.17 to control 68360. I can dig my patches if necessary,
however, I suspect it may be something else:

It is quite possible that your stuff is actually working fine and
the problem is that you did not initialize all necessary (and there are
a lot of them)peripheral registers corectly.

> --
>   Aaron J. Grier   |   Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR   |   aaron@frye.com
>   "The simplistic anthropomorphism which asserts that source code has a
>    life separate from its creator or maintainer is the product of one
>    too many viewings of Tron."  -- paraphrasing of anonymous post on /.
>
> ------
> Want more information?  See the CrossGCC FAQ, http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/

Thanks,

Aleksey