Building without debug info

How can I build a cross gcc (say 2.95.2) that does not include any debug
info in the final executables and libraries? At present I can run strip
--strip-all *.exe on all the executables (m68k-coff-XXX.exe, cc1.exe etc),
and I guess I could run m68k-coff-strip --strip-debug libXXX.a on all the
libs. This saves tons of space and IMHO is well worth doing (if you don't
want to debug the libs), but it would be nicer if the build process didn't
generate all the debug stuff in the first place. Can I pass something to
make (CFLAGS, LIBCFLAGS??) or something that does it for both the host
executables and the target libraries?? (and maybe slip in a -O2 (and -march
for the host stuff)).

Thanks.

Paul Andrews
Software Engineer