Re: problems cross-compilng gcc

Day 3
This time the events unfolded as follows:
I configured the gcc environment using --with-libs and --with-headers options.
This forced the configure script to copy the target libs to
/cross-tools/powerpc--openbsd/lib and
create a directory in /cross-tools/powerpc-openbsd called sys-includes
where it copied all the target headers.
Then I ran make  all install.
It fixed the headers ( or so it said)
The errors it produced during build were the same as  before:
1. conflicting types for sys_errlist ( libiberty/strerror.c)
2. unknown fields of the FILE struct and some undefined flags (
libiberty/vsprintf.c)
3.undefined PATH_MAX ( libchill/basicio.c)
4.   libiberty/strsignal.c: coid psignal(signo, message)
- message declared as const in the header.

In addition to that it produced a "parse error" in gcc/include/stdio.h on
the following routine declarations:

/*

int      vasprintf __P((char **, const char *, _BSD_DUMMY_VA_LIST_))
                __attribute__((format (printf, 2, 0)));
int      vsnprintf __P((char *, size_t, const char *, _BSD_DUMMY_VA_LIST_))
                __attribute__((format (printf, 3, 0)));
int      vscanf __P((const char *, _BSD_DUMMY_VA_LIST_))
                __attribute__((format (scanf, 1, 0)));
int      vsscanf __P((const char *, const char *, _BSD_DUMMY_VA_LIST_))
                __attribute__((format (scanf, 2, 0)));*/

aparrently it couldn't find  _BSD_DUMMY_VA_LIST_ ( I couldn't)

I commented these routines out - well it didn't complain.

After that the buid completed successfully
couple of questions that arose during the build process:
-the  target libraries I told it to use to build the cross-compiler were
built with gcc 2.8.1 -- could this be a part of my problem?

-It built several copies of libiberty:
- gcc*/libiberty
- gcc*/powerpc--openbsd/libiberty
-gcc*/powerpc--openbsd/soft-float/libiberty
Why is this done?
BTW the last 2 libiberty libs were the ones that gave me errors
<<<>>>
Now to the real problem:
when I tried to build a kernel with the cross-compiler I was getting
unresolved link errors ( routines like bcmp, bcopy, bzero,etc.)
These routines are compiled into  libkern.o object  so I examined that and
lo! it's all bogus.
i.e, nm reports:
nm: libkern.o: not object file or archive
I did a hex dump - well  there's elf header but no symbol names.
I  ran nm on  several objects that my cross-compiler produced and all with
the same result:
nm reports that it's not an object file or archive.,
So, looks like my cross-compiler produces garbage.
I'm totally stuck
Any ideas ? anyone?
Thx Andy