HELP: Cygwin/m68k-coff cross-compiler build

Hello folks,

Well, I've been messing around for quite some time now (a couple of
months on and off) to get a nice clean build of my m68k cross-compiler,
running under Windows 98 or NT (using Cygwin 1.0). I have been putting
together a nice little script (attached) to help me, but I'm down to one
little problem. At least, I think it might be a problem. The compiler
seems to build ok, but if I don't understand what went wrong, I can't be
sure that it's working right.

Problem:
While compiling I get several warnings (and one real error, below), most
of which are one of:
        "assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type" or
        "conflicting types for built-in function `memcpy'".
The first one seems harmless, but the second seems a little scary (I
have also seen it for 'memcmp', 'strcpy', and 'strcmp'). Naturally it
would be nice if the GNU/Newlib folks (I don't know who is responsible
for the warnings) would eliminate all warnings, if for no other reason
than to give me peace of mind. Can someone assure me that these warnings
are ok?

I'm prepared to live with the warnings, but I'm also getting an error
when it tries to build "fixincl" (or "fixincludes"). The error happens
during compilation and looks something like:
 ../../../gcc-2.95.2-1/gcc/fixinc/fixincl.c: In function `initialize':
 ../../../gcc-2.95.2-1/gcc/fixinc/fixincl.c:349: `SIGIOT' undeclared
(first use in this function)
 ../../../gcc-2.95.2-1/gcc/fixinc/fixincl.c:349: (Each undeclared
identifier is reported only once
 ../../../gcc-2.95.2-1/gcc/fixinc/fixincl.c:349: for each function it
appears in.)
 make[2]: *** [fixincl.o] Error 1
 ../../gcc-2.95.2-1/gcc/libgcc1-test.c:101: warning: conflicting types
for built-in function `memcpy'
 cxxmain.c: In function `main':
 cxxmain.c:4527: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target type
 cxxmain.c:4530: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target type
 ../../gcc-2.95.2-1/gcc/cpp.texi: error 0
 make[1]: *** [cpp.info] Error 2
 make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

The only real error appears to be the use of SIGIOT, which seems not to
be declared. Subsequent make errors occur as a result of it. My script
seems to continue and after that error with fixincl I don't get any more
complaints, so I'm assuming my cross-compiler and newlib libraries were
built ok. But, how can I be sure when I still have this error? The
following statements came out after the above error, and make it look as
though the error might be expected:
make[2]: Leaving directory `/build/gcc/gcc/fixinc'
Could not install binary fixincludes.
Installing shell script instead.

Sorry, I've cut and pasted the parts that I thought would be
interesting. Someone else asked a similar question a while ago but did
not get any responses regarding this error, so I figure some people are
already aware of it.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? Does everyone get this?
Does it happen to Unix/Linux people, or just Windows/Cygwin? I've
studied build scripts from several sources and I *think* I'm doing it
ok. Please look at my script (attached) and try it out on your machine
if you are so inclined. Note that I direct all of make's standard output
to "output.txt", with the error output shown in the window with the
output of the configure scripts. Is it possible that my path is not
right (should "/bin" and "/contrib/bin" come before "/gcc-m68k/bin")?

Here is my environment:
Windows 98SE (I think I've seen the same thing under Windows NT 4.0)
Cygnus Cygwin 1.0 (installed from the CD)
binutils-2.9.1 (patch from David Fiddes' site applied)
gcc-2.95.2
newlib-1.8.2
prefix=/gcc-m68k
target=m68k-coff