Re: Q: IEEE-Float byte order on Network convention

Deepak -

Thanks for writing.
 On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Deepak Chandrashekar wrote:

> Are you going to use arbitrary precision Floating point ?
> if so it is going to be almost imposible for any client
> machine to get the data correctly as each of them should
> know the no of bytes to be recieved in advance even if they
> know the byte ordering scheme involved.So some kind of scheme
> should be evolved.It is not dependent on the compiler and the
> code generation system of either machines.

I only plan to use types defined as IEEE-floats where (if I understand)
the lengths of the type and its subfields are well defined. I received a
number of pointers to the XDR definitions, and to those 'xdr' services
supported by 'glibc' and (for one example) by the RTEMS cross-platform
RTOS with which I've been working. We need to run down a usable library
for WinNT/MSVC++ and we'll be set.

Regards,
   Mills

   John Mills