Document / Script for automating cross-compiler build

Hello All,

Attached is a script that is intended to make the building of a
cross-compiler under Windows 95/98/NT and Cygwin 1.1.x as easy and
automated as possible. I don't know if it would be just as useful to
non-Windows people, but I suspect it might be (with some modification
perhaps). But, it is intended for Windows/Cygwin people.

I had a lot of trouble getting compiler builds to work on my SMP
dual-Celeron system running Windows NT 4.0 Workstation. If anyone has
success on an SMP system using Cygwin 1.1.x, please let me know.

The script starts from scratch and assumes that you have nothing except
a computer running Windows NT or 98 (95 should work too, but don't know
about 2000). Unfortunately the only editor you will end up having
available in the Cygwin environment is vi. I prefer Emacs, and have
built and installed XEmacs on my machine, but this is not included in
the attached script. You also will not have the benefit of perl or info.
I really wish Cygnus/RedHat will include at least these three tools in
future releases of its Cygwin environment.

The script also includes some advice on what all you need to get an
embedded program linked and running properly. Although I'm far from an
expert on this, I have gotten my program to run on my M68306-based
device, and I include in the script's comments some of the things I had
to do to get to that point..

Please let me know if this is helpful, or if you have recommendations
for changes/additions, or whether a similar thing already exists for us
unfortunate Windows people and I just could not find it.

The script is currently configured as follows (based on what I needed),
but is designed in a way to make these things easy to change:
    Target: m68k-coff
    Prefix: /gcc-m68k
    binutils-2.10
    gcc-2.95.2
    newlib-1.8.2
I have also done successful builds with the Target set to "m68k-elf".

Chris

buildgcc.tar.gz

begin:vcard
n:Bahns;Christopher