arm-elf debug info

My host is x86 Linux
My target is arm-elf

I have a dead simple .c file with three local variables (i, j, k). All the
variables are in scope for the entire function, and optimization is
disabled.
The problem is only i appears in the debugging information.
arm-elf-gcc -g main.c
arm-elf-gdb a.out
info locals
Only i appears in this list. j and k are oddly absent.
They definately exist in the code (they haven't been optimized away) and
have their own locations on in the stack frame.
(i is at [r11, -#16], j is at [r11, -#20], k is at [r11, -#24], r11 is the
frame pointer)

If I compile the same file natively it works.
gcc -g main.c
gdb a.out
info locals
lists the three locals as expected.
objdump --debugging lists the locals in the debugging information as well.

When x-compiling though, I can't get objdump --debugging to give any
information.
It gives the error...
MAIN.ELF:     file format elf32-littlearm
arm-elf-objdump: MAIN.ELF: no recognized debugging information
I know the debugging information's in there though.

As an aside, how do -gdwarf, -ggdb, and the other formats differ? Which
should I use?
-gdwarf is the only one I'm able to get a source view from Insight though.

Thanks,
Shaun