unaligned pointers

Can GCC generate the code necessary to load from and store to unaligned
pointers? Ditto for unaligned members of structures.
In the case of structure members the compiler knows compile-time which are
aligned and which are unaligned, and genereate the respective code. Although
it doesn't at the moment. Nor does it warn me of the access to an unaligned
structure member (w/ -Wall).
For pointers though, how do I indicate a given pointer can possibly be
unaligned, and needs odd-alignment safe dereferncing?

Thanks,
Shaun Jackman