decstation cross-compiler on SPARC: can't build crt0.o with newlib

Hello,

I'm trying to install a cross-compiler on a sparc-sun-solaris2.7 host with
target as decstation-ultrix. It's not to use Nachos, and I really need to
create real mips-ultrix binaries to use with an instruction level MIPS
simulator.

binutils and gcc have been created without too many problems, so I can
compile, but my problem is at the linker level..

I need architecture dependent lib files like crt0.o
Since I don't have access to such a decstation and have no idea where to
find those find on the web, I tried to build newlib-1.8.2 for the
decstation.

The problem is that for this particular target, when it comes to create
crt0.o, here is the makefile:

crt0.o:
        cp /lib/crt0.o crt0.o

if I understand well, newlib is creating nothing and just copying the
crt0.o file off the old system !
if you check the other architecture directories, you'll find the crt0.c
file and see that newlib is really compiling it...

So.. does all this mean that I simply can't create a cross-compiler
towards the decstation without getting a valid crt0.o file from somewhere
? Or am I missing something about cross-compilers or newlib ?

I have no way here to find the crt0.o file on a real system , so any help
would be really apreciated ! Even a binary of a decstation cross-compiler
is OK for me !!

Thanks

-Laurent

laurent@eng.umd.edu