Re Crosscompiling a native compiler

I'm trying to bootstrap a native compiler right now, and I've gotten a
little farther than you, I think.

> > ./configure --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as --host=m68k-unknown-linux
> m68k-unknown-linux

This is my configure line for building a hurd native compiler:

/configure --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --host=i586-pc-gnu
--target=i586-pc-gnu --prefix=

And it works for me - I found that it was important to ensure that I
specified all three (build, host, target)

If that doesn't work, make sure that you're 100% certain of your Glibc
compile and your cross-compile.  You can look at my posted instructions
at: http://hurd.zugzug.com/doc/cross/cross.html  The instructions are
written assuming a linux-to-hurd cross, but it should be adaptable to
anything that uses Glibc.

I am having some difficulties now with the resultant compiler, because
gcc doesn't know that crt1.o is /lib/crt1.o but you can burn that bridge
when you come to it.  (Any suggestions from people would be wonderful!)
The native compiler does, however, work once LD is told where to find them.

> Maybe I want a "Alaska cross". ;-)

Being a Canadian, I like to call it a Newfie-cross. =)

--
It's almost like we're doing Windows users a favor by charging them money
for something they could get for free, because they get confused