Re: Re Crosscompiling a native compiler

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Jeff Bailey wrote:

> I'm trying to bootstrap a native compiler right now, and I've gotten a
> little farther than you, I think.
>
> > > ./configure --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as --host=m68k-unknown-linux
> > m68k-unknown-linux
>
> This is my configure line for building a hurd native compiler:
>
> /configure --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --host=i586-pc-gnu
> --target=i586-pc-gnu --prefix=
>
> And it works for me - I found that it was important to ensure that I
> specified all three (build, host, target)
I thought that one should not specify build because the configure-script
tries to do it.

Your "host code" can be run on your "build machine" (I guess!) and
therefrom you won't have *my* problem, that the compiled "xgcc"-file
(m68k-code) can't be executed on my i386-build-machine.
After spending much hours I say it's IMHO impossible to build a native
gcc-2.7.2.3 for a foreign hardware in ONE stage because the compiled
"xgcc" (will later be renamed) will be invoked but cannot be executed.

> If that doesn't work, make sure that you're 100% certain of your Glibc
> compile and your cross-compile.  You can look at my posted instructions
> at: http://hurd.zugzug.com/doc/cross/cross.html  The instructions are
> written assuming a linux-to-hurd cross, but it should be adaptable to
> anything that uses Glibc.
You use gcc-2.95 as I read on this page!
There are significant changes between gcc-2.7.x and gcc-2.9x!
Furthermore I use "glibc1" (it's an alias, I know, actually it's the
libc5).

> I am having some difficulties now with the resultant compiler, because
> gcc doesn't know that crt1.o is /lib/crt1.o but you can burn that bridge
> when you come to it.  (Any suggestions from people would be wonderful!)
> The native compiler does, however, work once LD is told where to find them.
I guess it expects it in /usr/lib, huh?
IMHO this can be modified in the Makefile.

greets,
Frank

The programmer to his son: "Here, I brought you a new basketball."
"Thank you, daddy, but where is the user's guide?"

Sending unsolicited commercial email to this address may be a violation
of the Washington State Consumer Protection Act, chapter 19.86 RCW.
Das Verschicken unverlangter kommerzieller email an diese Adresse ist
verboten (LG Traunstein, 2 HK O 3755/97 vom 14.10.1997, CR 1998, 171f).