Installing cross-compiler for PowerPC 603, pSOS

Hi. I would like to get some advice about cross-compiling GCC for a Sun
Solaris host, and PowerPC target.

We have already installed gcc-2.95.2, with its complete source.

Here are some issues I need to address:
- should the cross-compiler be installed in the same dir as the native
compiler, and then be called with a special flag, or should it be
installed in a whole new directory altogether?

- should we use flags such as 'with-as' 'with-ld' and 'with-headers' to
specify directories for the assembler, linker, and headers, or is it
best to leave these out, and then specify which assemblers, linkers etc
to use as flags when we actually use the cross-gcc? - If we use the
flags when we actually run gcc, we would have more flexibility in trying
different assemblers and linkers, or have the option of not linking at
all, right? - Or would you have the same flexibility by installing it
with default directories, and then overriding the defaults if you choose
to do so when running gcc?

- does it matter what version of 'make' one uses? ie whether we use
'make' from cc or from GNU?

- I've never used binutils before. What is it all about? Does it have
any useful tools for profiling the code (analyzing it to produce a
function call graph, for example)?

On a related note, I notice that GCC has tools to make it compatible
with certain embedded operating systems. Are there any tools for pSOS? I
couldn't find any...

Thanks,
Jay Lulla
jay.lulla@ebay.sun.com