Re: gdbstubs library posted at sourceforge

David Williams wrote:
>As far as I understand LGPL license (having read it several times now) as a
>minimum if the LGPL gdbstub code is included in a product of mine then I have
>to make the source for the gdbstub and the object code available so that users
>can modify the stub code and re-link with the supplied objects to create a new
>"executable". Making these available is not really a problem for me. I assume
>referring the user to a suitable web site (of mine) where such source and
>objects would be available would be satisfactory. The problem for my users is
>then that the "executable" as such needs to be written into flash memory. To do
>this the user would have to pull apart the device and then connect two pins on
>the PCB and then use some other software running on a PC (not normally supplied
>to the user) to download and program the flash memory with the new image. This
>is normally done as a factory proceedure. How far do I have to go to meet LGPL
>requirements???

There was an on-line discussion about three years ago (unfortunately, I've
forgotten where,exactly) that Stallman got involved with.  His opinion seemed
to be that once you've provided the appropriate source & object code, you've
done what the license requires.  If the software then needs to be installed
in a ROM in the middle of an ASIC, that's the user's problem, not yours.
If he voids the warranty by doing it, that's his problem, too.