Another dumb question

Wow! You folks helped me get sufficiently oriented to get a hold of the
material  I needed to find and master.  Thanks a lot, everyone.

So here is my other question:
    Why can't I change my PATH in a shell script?

Suppose I wish to add the traditional /foo/bar to my search path.  I can
type in "export PATH=$PATH:/foo/bar", and that works.  I.e., if I type "echo
$PATH" I get back my original path concatenated with ":/foo/bar".  Yet if I
try putting this into a shell script I get no error messages but "echo
$PATH" returns the unmodified original search path.  None of the variants
I've tried seems to work.  (I'm running a new Red Hat Linux 6.1
installation.)

Why?

Help would again be appreciated.

Richard Bowser