cygwin 1.1.7 and cross builds

Hi,

I am using the current net release of Cygwin to build RTEMS to
target an m68k (ELF format).  When the configure script tries
to see if the cross compiler works, it will execute this
fragment from a configure script:

================
cat > conftest.$ac_ext << EOF

#line 1253 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}
EOF
if { (eval echo configure:1258: \"$ac_link\") 1>&5; (eval $ac_link)
2>&5; } &&
est -s conftest${ac_exeext}; then
  ac_cv_prog_cc_works=yes
  # If we can't run a trivial program, we are probably using a cross
compiler.
  if (./conftest; exit) 2>/dev/null; then
=================

Cygwin under WinME/95 passes this test and apparently refuses to run
"./conftest".
Cygwin under WinNT/2000 allows ./conftest to be executed.  Even worse,
this
conftest will execute enough to go into a hard loop which can't be
killed with
<ctl>-C.

I believe that Cygwin should refuse to execute this program.  Is there
any provision for checking a magic number on the executable?

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

I can provide the executable if this is desired.

   Support Available             (256) 722-9985