RE: gcc-m68k cross compiler problem gcc2.95.2

Thanks a lot pierre.
mahadev

-----Original Message-----
From: crossgcc-owner@sources.redhat.com [mailto:crossgcc-owner@sources.redhat.com]On Behalf Of Pierre Saucourt-Harmel (r54698)
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2001 1:44 PM
To: Mahadev K Cholachagudda
Cc: crossgcc@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: gcc-m68k cross compiler problem gcc2.95.2

Hello,

Mahadev K Cholachagudda wrote:

I think if i execute gcc to get me the final executable file, the gcc will
intern call pre-processor, c-compiler, assembler and then linker. I think
the linker may not be getting correct linker script or the above definitions
such as (hardware_init_hook etc) are not there in the linker script which ld
is looking for.

Am i correct ?

Yes, you are.

Just look at the ld.info documentation (part of binutils package) to study how the linker takes your script and which commands you can use to write this script.
Your command line to compile should look like that (if your linker script is named "hello.ld"):
m68k-coff-gcc -Wl,--script=hello.ld hello.c

Moreover, as your gcc compiler do not link with a default C standard library, I think you did not generate and install correctly the newlib package.
That's why reference to atexit, printf, _exit and _cleanup symbols are unresolved.

Your gcc compiler should automatically (without adding any option to the m68k-coff-gcc invocation) link your executable file with the libc.a or libg.a.
Check the presence of these libraries under:
<your-installation-directory>/m68k-coff/lib

For __FINI_SECTION__ and __INIT_SECTION__ sections, you should have defined them into your linker script.
For software_init_hook and harware_init_hook symbols, I don't know.

Regards,
Pierre.