Re: Help needed

Hua Ji wrote:

> I made a cross compiler on my solaris machine for powerpc-elf target.
> Everything looks fine when I did the make.
>
> When I used my powerpc-elf-gcc to compile and link my helloworld.c, I got
> some error described below.
>
> The command line used for compile and link is:
> powerpc-elf-gcc -v -o helloworld helloworld.c

 And your real target is what ?

 You must have some defined target for an executable, like an opsys (powerpc-linux),
a target board with a glue library, startup and linker script, or something else.

 The 'powerpc-elf' doesn't define any real target, just the ELF object format...

 Please open your fine GCC manual and read the following about the four supported
PowerPC 'target boards' in the Cygnus newlib :

-------------------------- clip -----------------------------
IBM RS/6000 and PowerPC Options

These -m options are defined for the IBM RS/6000 and PowerPC:

<snip>

-msim
  On embedded PowerPC systems, assume that the startup module is called sim-crt0.o
  and that the standard C libraries are libsim.a and libc.a.  This is the default
  for powerpc-*-eabisim configurations.

-mmvme
  On embedded PowerPC systems, assume that the startup module is called crt0.o and
  the standard C libraries are libmvme.a and libc.a.

-mads
  On embedded PowerPC systems, assume that the startup module is called crt0.o and
  the standard C libraries are libads.a and libc.a.

-myellowknife
  On embedded PowerPC systems, assume that the startup module is called crt0.o and
  the standard C libraries are libyk.a and libc.a.

 For 'Hello World' the '-msim' could be suitable. Then you can run the executable
with the 'powerpc-elf-run' stand-alone-simulator coming with GDB (the 'psim', made
by Andrew Cagney...), and get your "Hello World" visible...

 Neither does the PowerPC EABI have any defined "Embedded-ABI" with a known opsys-
like system call layer, it is only a modified ELF format...

Cheers, Kai