About target librairies and headers...

Hi,

I've tried to build both Linux->Cygwin and Cygwin->Linux cross-compiler and
get the same probleme for both: Somewhere in the process you need to install
manualy some library headers.

This is not during the first stage but when it's trying to build some libs
with the xgcc produced in the first stage (what I called the first stage is
the cretaion of this xgcc executable)

I also remenber that when I build Cross gcc and all for eCos i386, I didn't
need to add such headers (But they have a patch for gcc)

So I would like to know for what are used those headers?
What is libgcc2 ?

Is this libgcc2 a target or a host library?
If it is host why do I need target headers?
If it is target what does it do ? And why do I need it to build my cross
gcc? What is exactly the xgcc produced in first place ?

Well, let me guess...
The libgcc2 is used by the final cross compiler as a default librairie to be
linked with apps.
But why this library depends of a libc?
And so how do I build the libc if I need the libc to build the compiler?
And does glibc need libgcc2 to be build?
Why is not libgcc2 part of the glibc?
Can I cross-build glibc with the xgcc produced in first stage?

I don't feel like using the includes from another linux box because I want
to customize my libc - get rid of i18n stuff for example or to build it for
486 while the one on many distro is 386 or 686 optimized.

I downloaded glibc sources but includes are not organized as their are in an
installed tree.

Basically I would like to knew how one could start to build a linux system
from source without having a linux box? (One can do that with eCos, why not
linux - by the way I'm wondering how it is done in eCos, their libc is part
of their kernel but then, will investigate that...)

Thanks...

(Sorry if I'm posting to much about that, I know I tend to ask lots of
questions as they come to me...)

--
Fabrice Gautier