Cross build without target runtime [Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question]

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001 13:26:04 -0600 (CST)
Mumit Khan <khan@NanoTech.Wisc.EDU> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Fabrice Gautier wrote:
>
> > I beg to disagre...
> >
> > At least for linux, I managed to do it without the runtime. I had to
> > configure with --with-newlib and to do "make all-gcc" and "make
> > install-gcc" instead of "make" and "make install"
> >
> > Eventually it seems to work as well when I just created the missing
> > header files as empty.
> >
> > May not apply to Solaris though.
>
> The original poster wants to create Solaris binaries using this
> cross-compiler, so please tell me how you manage to do that without
> the target, Solaris in this case, runtime installed?

Sure, I had to build the runtime (ie: linux glibc in my case) in order
to produce any binaries. And sure for that i had to have the glibc
source, so in a way I needed the runtime (in source form).

I realize too that my "solution" may not apply to Solaris (Solaris
libaries sources may not be available, or other problems). And that's
certainly not the simplest way for a Linux target either.

But this is possible, and maybe it is possible to for Solaris. May be it
is even possible to build glibc for Solaris this way.

The point is just than i'm trying to understand things about gcc
internals and I agree it isn't useful for the original poster and for
that I apologize.

(and I still think there is something not clear with the fact that when
I build with --with-newlib, i don't need newlib headers but i need glibc
headers otherwise)

Fabrice Gautier <gautier@email.enstfr>