Canonical forms

When configuring binutils and gcc, config.guess produces a 3 or 4 element
identifier in canonical form,
i.e. CPU_TYPE-MANUFACTURER-KERNAL-OPERATING_SYSTEM.  This identifier tells
"what the Hell I have configured".  In the most complex situation of
building a cross-compiler on a machine that is neither the host or target,
three machines are involved, i.e. build, host, and target.  My question is
which machine does each element in the canonical form refer to.  I really
only care about the case when build=host, but feel free to explain the case
when they are different.  Here are my guesses, can anyone confirm for me?

CPU_TYPE refers to target
MANUFACTURER refers to target
KERNAL refers to host
OPERATING_SYSTEM refers to host

I don't think the elements ever refer to build because once the build is
done, the build machine is history (unless build=host).  Someone please
straighten me out.