Re: Odd and Odder - a solution is found

Hi everyone,

I wanted to take a moment and let everyone know that I think a solution to
the problem we've been wrestling with has been found.

Before I get to that, however, I wanted to thank everyone who took time and
effort to send suggestions to the list or to my personal email. Every
suggestion was appreciated and has helped me take a couple more steps up the
learning curve associated with programming the 68332.  I now know much more
about linker scripts, memory alignment, objdump, available switches for gcc
(and associated tools) and where to get pdf versions of the manuals, etc.
Overall, a dozen individuals offered help - Thanks again to everyone!

The solution which seems to have worked (based on some test programs with
strings of varying lengths) involved adding a .ALIGN directive in my
rm_rom.ld linker script at the beginning of the .rodata section. A number of
individuals suggested variations on this theme - thank you.  Also, I'd like
to mention the help that Stefan Petters provided (including the .ALIGN
suggestion!) - little did I know how much stuff objdump could produce, :-).

I am still curious as to why a printf would cause the problem to go away and
a number of individuals felt that the problem could be solved through the
use of the right compiler switch.  I haven't yet discovered the right switch
(if there is one), but now I've got some pdf's to wade through...

Thanks again to everyone for their ideas and patience.

Regards,

Mark