RE: arm-linux cross gcc build failure

Hi Nhat,

Did your change to ARM_Hint for the #define within the arm.h file eliminate
the prefix.c compile error?

I switched a couple of days ago to trying to use the arm gcc executable
produced by the instructions provided by redhat for the eCos environment.

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/tools/win-arm-elf.html

When following these instructions explicitly, I was able to produce the
cross-gcc  executable. However I've since learned that the produced compiler
does not generate PIC (position independent code) executables. So while it
might work for building an embedded linux kernel or an application that will
be loaded and executed without any os, it will not produce the code needed
for an application that will be loaded and executed by linux in the embedded
target.

My objective is to build uClinux for ARM7TDMI and I've had several people
tell me that I need to switch from Cygwin to a linux development host.

Are you trying to build an os environment or executables to will run
directly on the processor with no os?

Another excellent site is:

http://www.beyondlogic.org/

There are two pages for building the tools and kernel needed for uClinux.
It's written for 68k but the general info is very thorough and useful.

A classic ARM Linux site is:

http://www.tazenda.demon.co.uk/phil/armlinux/

Under the Tools section there is a link to his tool building instructions:

http://www.tazenda.demon.co.uk/phil/arm-tools.html

as well as a link to Chris Ritter's site, which is another very good ARM
tool info site.

http://inkvine.fluff.org/~chris/arm-tools.html

Another that I just discovered recently is:

http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/

Items 10, 11 and 14 in this list were helpful for me.

Let me know your latest status. Good Luck!

John E. A.

p.s. After assembling these links I thought I'd copy the list in the hope
that they might help others who are trying to build cross tools for ARM.