RE: -Qy

Hmmn.

Perhaps you might try to run 'as' from the shell prompt and provide the
versioning information for it.  First try 'as --help' or 'as -h' and try to
figure out just WHAT is running!  Chances are the 'wrong' 'as' is running.
Once you figure out which run is running (most likely the wrong one),
perhaps you'll be able to figure out why, and setup your paths correctly.

One possibility of course is that your particular 'as' implementation does
not support -Qy.  You may be able to remove that option from the makefiles
before running make, because I don't believe you will actually *NEED* that
option for building the GNU stuff - for building your own applications, you
will potentially need it for debugging, but you shouldn't need it for the
GNU stuff.

Another possibility (although I doubt it) may be that you aren't using the
'-prefix' option to configure (both for binutils and gcc).  Is there a
reason you aren't running the configure scripts with the '-prefix=<some env
variable>' options, to help the utilities locate stuff?

As an example, my build scripts for binutils and gcc follow:

shell script for binutils 2.10.1:

----------------

# START
$ cat bldbinutils
cd /src
host=<whatever your host is>
target=m68k-hek-elf
prefix=/cross/m68k
i=$prefix/bin

mkdir build-binutils

# Configure, build and install binutils
cd build-binutils
../binutils-2.10.1/configure --target=$target --prefix=$prefix -v 2>&1 | tee
con
figure.out
make -w all install 2>&1 | tee make.out
# END

------------------

# START
$ cat bldgcc
cd /src
host=<whatever your host is>
target=m68k-hek-elf
prefix=/cross/m68k
i=$prefix/bin

mkdir build-gcc

# Configure, build and install gcc
cd build-gcc
../gcc-2.95.3.test4/configure --target=$target --prefix=$prefix
--with-gnu-ld --
with-gnu-as --with-newlib -v 2>&1 | tee configure.out
make -w all-gcc install-gcc LANGUAGES="c c++" 2>&1 | tee make.out
# END

Hope that helps.

Pat
---
Patrick McGarry, Director - Broadband Technology
Hekimian Division
SPIRENT COMMUNICATIONS

"Just when you think you've won the rat race, along come faster rats."

crossgcc-unsubscribe@sourceware.cygnus.com