From: David Korn [mailto:dkorn@pixelpower.com]
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 10:06 AM
To: 'Judith & Rich'; 'pmcgarry'; 'Joe Humel'
Cc: crossgcc@sourceware.cygnus.com; 'jml@intrinsix.com'; 'Noah Aklilu'
Subject: RE: -Qy

  Methinks you have a little confusion here.

  First of all, Cygwin understands Unix-style paths and in fact works
*much* better using them then using DOS style paths.  You certainly can't
hope to have much luck passing a DOS path to a Unix shell/makefile
combination like Gcc configure, and I would seriously recommend you just
use Unix paths and be done with it.

  I use cygwin on NT every day and have absolutely no problem doing
configures and builds of gcc without using any --prefix setting.

  Secondly, the X:/cygwin directory (the root of your cygwin installation)
should be exactly the same thing as the '/' dir, and the cygwin install
procedure should have created a mount list entry to reflect that mapping.
What output do you get when you run the mount command?

  Thirdly, I don't actually know if the --target triple is case sensitive
or not, but I would *not* have a capital L in linux myself.

  Fourthly, you shouldn't need to specify the build machine, it ought to
work that out for itself.  And since host==build is the default, you
could leave that out as well.

  Fifthly, you're configuring and building in the source directory.  While
this is meant to work, it may modify the source in such a way that you
cannot subsequently re-configure and re-build, but end up having to unpack
the source code tarball into a fresh directory.  As a matter of standard
practise I always recommend building in a separate build dir.

      DaveK
--
 All your base are belong to us!

the system manager.