RE: Compile a new cross compiler

  Yes, ok, I think it's just a historical leftover; it would be simpler
to leave it out, and then everything will install itself in a nice
standard tree.

>Have you any idea why I receive the following error message:
>
>/src/binutils/binutils-2.10.1/configure --target=i386-coff \
>--prefix=/tools --exec-prefix=/tools/H-i686-pc-cygwin \
>-v 2>&1 | tee configure.out
>
>This runs without problem, but if I make then the binutils with
>
> make -w all install 2>&1 | tee make.out
>
>I receive the following error

>/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -W -Wall  -o libbfd.la -rpath
>--exec-p
>refix=/tools_i386_coff/H-i686-pc-cygwin/lib -release 2.10.1  archive.lo
>archures
>.lo bfd.lo cache.lo coffgen.lo corefile.lo format.lo init.lo libbfd.lo
>opncls.lo
> reloc.lo section.lo syms.lo targets.lo hash.lo linker.lo
>srec.lo binary.lo
>tekh
>ex.lo ihex.lo stabs.lo stab-syms.lo `cat ofiles`
>libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed
>make[3]: *** [libbfd.la] Error 1

  Sorry, I've never seen anything like that before.  It looks very much
as if there is a path missing after the -rpath option in this part of the
command line:

  -rpath --exec-prefix=/tools_i386_coff/H-i686-pc-cygwin/lib

and then the --exec-prefix option is being interpreted as a path for
the -rpath option, and since '--exec-prefix' doesn't begin with a '/',
it assumes it is a relative path, which, as it says, isn't allowed.
All this suggests there is some bug in the configure/makefile stuff.  It
might go away if you forget about the --exec-prefix, which I don't think
you really need anyway; but really you should enquire about this on
the binutils mailing list; and search the binutils list archive in case
it's a known bug.

      DaveK
--
 All your base are belong to us!