Newlib installation

After what seems like about 50 tries, I now have a cross
compiler targetted to sh-hitachi-coff,  hosted on BeOS.
(Changing OSes is not an option).
I had to configure as a linux box, but I eventually got some
binaries.

I've been following all the newlib discussions on how to
make the C library for the target, and I think I have a set
of .a files now that will work.   I did a make install, and
now I have a set of files of the name libnosys.a in what
looks to be the right place.
Now when I try to use the cross version of gcc to do a link,
giving it the -nostdlib option, it exits with the error message

sh-hitachi-coff-gcc: installation problem, cannot execute
'(long path here)/collect2': missing library

I try to execute the linker directly, and it tells me it can't
find libc.a

Now my question is, do I have to rename the newlib libs
to match gcc, or is there some other way of calling gcc that
looks for the newlib versions instead of defaults?

I already have startup routines for my target, so I won't ever
need crt0.s,  just the C library.

I have tried reading everything I could find in either the GCC
or Newlib distributions, but nothing prepared me, or helped
guide me through this ordeal, so please, no appeals to RTFM.

Thanks,

Tom.