RE: Cross to MC68040 from cygwin on PC-NT.

      Hi again Mikael,

  I've put crossgcc-list back in the Cc: line because then all these
questions and answers get archived and people who have the same trouble
in the future can search the archive and find answers :)

>If I'm unclear or unspecific, tell me. It's so many thing to
>keep together
>when you are a beginner like me. But its interesting, ver interesting.

  It is more difficult than it ought to be, and part of the problem is
that the FAQs, HOWTOs and other documents are often out-of-date with
regard to what the source code says and does, so there's a certain
amount of unwritten knowledge that you can only gain by experience,
trial-and-error, and best of all by talking to other people on the lists
who've been down the same path!

>configure --target=m68k-coff --with-newlib
>--with-included-gettext --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld
>Configuring for a i586-pc-cygwin32 host.
>Links are now set up to build a cross-compiler for m68k-unknown-coff
>  from i586-pc-cygwin32.
>
>make LANGUAGES=c all install
>
>/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/install: cpp.info*: No such file
>or directory
>/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/install: gcc.info*: No such file
>or directory

>I have searched for cpp.info* and gcc.info* everywhere but
>they dont exsist.

  These files are the documentation for the preprocessor and the main
compiler itself.  They are made from the various *.texi files in the
gcc source tree.  There is a problem with cygwin and gettext, I don't
know exactly what it is, but to make it work properly you have to use
the --with-included-gettext flag to configure - you have done this -
and *also* you must get rid of the texinfo subdirectory in the top
level source code directory:

 cd ....path..../gcc-2.95.3/
 mv texinfo old.texinfo

  That should make the .info files build properly.

>make: *** [install-info] Error 1
>bash-2.02$ install -info
>(This must be an internal problem with my install program in
>the gcc-compilator

  No no no!!! That isn't "install -info" !  It is "install-info", and
it's not a command line at all, it is a target in the makefile, that
refers to installing the info files: you will also find targets like
"install-gcc" and "install-libstdc++" in the makefile, and when you do
a "make install", you will see that the "install" target is defined
as a list of these other "install-*" targets.

>Ps: Just curious, what does
>	"All your base are belong to the Israeli army!  Oh, now
>they aren't again!"
>    mean.

  It's a silly joke.  "All your base are belong to us" is a quotation
from an old video game that was very badly translated from japanese to
english.  It has become an internet in-joke.  My variation of it refers
to the recent incident in the fighting between the Israelis and the
Palestinians when the Israeli army invaded a small part of the west bank
and occupied a Palestinian security forces' base - and then un-invaded it
just a few hours later following diplomatic pressure from the USA.  Since
it was a security *base* that briefly belonged to them, I got the idea
to make an in-joke of an in-joke.  I may have to give it up though,
people keep on asking me to explain.....

    DaveK
--
 As I was climbing on the stair
 I met a man who wasn't there