Re: Updated build-crossgcc.sh, and a very preliminary FAQ

bgat@open-widgets.com wrote:

> Guys:
>
> I updated my crossgcc build script, adding powerpc-eabi and
> h8300-coff targets.
>
> There's also a very alpha FAQ online.  There are a *lot* of holes and
> missing information therein, but hey, it's a start.  It shows I'm
> genuine, if nothing else...  :^)

The new FAQ is very austere.  Once someone understands the process,
then presenting little more than a few lines of code as a reminder
may (possibly) be adequate.  But if you are doing this for the first
time and are trying to understand what the process is, then there is
little here to guide you.

I would suggest listing each of the configuration options which are
relevant and explain why you chose the values you did.

Certainly newlib is a choice of runtime, but it isn't the only
choice.  Building Glibc should be mentioned.  One of the failings of
the current CrossGCC FAQ is that it only mentions Newlib.

Section 2.3 seems to be impossible -- it says you need to specify headers
which are created by the next step.  The FAQ mentions --with-local-prefix
as being the location for standard header files, but it suggests that
this is the location for TARGET headers.  It isn't; it is the location
for the host file headers, which should generally default to /usr/include.

When we do cross builds, we specify --includedir, --with-newlib,
--disable-shared, --enable-cross.

My suggestion would be to try to correct the existing CrossGCC FAQ
rather than writing one from scratch.  You seem to fall into much
of the same trap that I sometimes do:  only the final results are
given, with none of the reason and rational.  Currently, the ratio
between text and code is about 1:1.  Much more description is needed.

--
Michael Eager     eager@mvista.com	408-328-8426
MontaVista Software, Inc. 1237 E. Arques Ave., Sunnyvale, CA  94085