Re: Anyone ever install gcc for the ARC microprocessor?

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 09:18:52AM +0300, Kai Ruottu wrote:

>  You should build binutils from the binutils-sources, then build
> GCC from the GCC-sources, that's the simple rule and should work.

That is what I'm trying to do in order to build gcc for arc-elf, and I don't succeed either.

>  If you build from the FSF-sources, keep them separated until
> you have checked that the 'utils'-stuff (libiberty, bfd, opcodes,
> include, readline, intl etc.) doesn't differ too much.

How do you do that? Using a different --prefix option, perhaps?

>  I had no troubles at all when testing the build from the untouched
> binutils-2.11 sources for  the 'arc-elf' target....

Whith which version of gcc?
While trying to build gcc-2.95.3 for arc-elf with binutils-2.11, I reported the assembler problems that I was having to the binutils mailing list. The binutils mantainers discovered that these problems were caused by some disagreements between these versions of binutils and gcc. They have also recently fixed these inconsistencies in the binutils cvs sources.
Therefore, I can imagine that you didn't use gcc-2.95.3

By the way, does it make any difference if my native version of gcc is 2.95.2 ?

On the other hand, please, can you tell me exactly which configure options you used, or what is wrong with the following?

1) For binutils
 build-binutils$ ../src-binutils/configure \
		--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu \
		--target=arc-unknown-elf \
		--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu \
		--prefix=/usr/local/arc
2) For gcc
 build-gcc$ ../src-gcc-2.95.3/configure \
	        --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu \
        	--target=arc-unknown-elf \
	        --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu \
        	--prefix=/usr/local/arc \
	        --enable-languages=c

Finally, in an earlier mail to the crossgcc mailing list I have explained that the error messages for me now seem to be related with inexistent C library headers. Any idea on this?

Thanks

Angel Manchado