Re: Anyone ever install gcc for the ARC microprocessor?

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 11:26:35AM +0300, Kai Ruottu wrote:

>   So I checked gcc-2.95.3 now and the build crashed when trying to
> compile the 'lib1funcs.asm', ie. 'libgcc1.S', line 40, saying:
>
>   undefined pseudo op '.cpu'

yes, I know; more on this later

>  When trying to build these, the build gave warnings from LITTLE_ENDIAN
> and BIG_ENDIAN redefinitions in 'gas/config/tc-arc.h', then crashed in
> 'gas/config/tc-arc.c'... This showed that I really hadn't used 2.10.1
> and it proved out that I had used the 'fixed binutils-2.10', ie. the
> '20000704'-snapshots (when comparing this to 2.10, I found several
> useful bugfixes done but generally it was 'binutils-2.10', and even the
> 2.10.1 release missed some of these bugfixes...).

I also got this crash with 2.10.1 and several older versions.
That's why I gave up using it and concentrated on 2.11.

>  The 2.11 seemed to differ radically from 2.10.1/20000704 what becomes
> to the 'gas/config/tc-arc.*', and when the 'pseudo op .cpu' problem
> still existed, I decided to use the 20000704-patched binutils-2.10.1
> when continuing to try the gcc-2.95.3 build...
>
>  Angel, you must have met the '.cpu' problem when using binutils-2.11,
> but is there somewhere a solution to this?

Yes. It is solved from 12/May/2001 (not sure, my memory is also dim) by two
developers, Alan Modra and Peter Targett. You just have to download a more
recent snapshot: those of  15/May and 22/May are confirmed to work. The most
recent is from yesterday, I believe.

>  Then I met the same "junk at end of line: 'ld blink,[fp,4]'" problem
> but found a different solution to this... The same file in the
> 'gcc-2.9-edk-20000221'-sources had seemingly a fix installed, the
> gcc-3.0
> snapshots too, the diff is also attached here...

What a coincidence! the same diff has been posted yesterday to gcc-patches by
another person, Stacey Sheldon. See
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2001-05/msg01703.html .
Hopefully, it will be right in future releases.

> I would see two possible 'in sync' solutions:

I've just sent a reply to your previous message in which I report success.
This involves gcc-2.95.3 patched and a recent binutils snapshot.

>  After reading these and if not understanding something or having
> troubles

I read all those docs several times, I swear it! But obviously, I didn't
understand some key points.

> ones in avoiding problems during the build ("Be smart, never start"),

Also obviously, I'm not so smart.

> If you want to produce only the C and C++ compilers, then write:
>
>     make all-gcc LANGUAGES="c c++"
>
> and then
>
>     make install-gcc LANGUAGES="c c++"

Oh, oh .. I just did 'make all', not 'make all-gcc' but it worked.

> to install the C and C++ compilers, then build newlib with the installed
> GCC. And finally continue with the libiberty and libstdc++ builds.

I'm afraid that I'm lost again: I thought that these libraries were completely
built when the gcc build, because I can see a lib/libiberty.a and
libstdc--.a.2.10.0 , so they were built before newlib.
I have to read the documents for building these libraries.

>  Please note that this was generic info, the ARC-support doesn't include
> any startup-routine (crt0.o) or any other target board support (glue
> lib)
> in newlib, so getting libiberty and libstdc++ built for 'arc-elf' may be
> tough...

Oh yes, that's why it crashed when I tried to build newlib (treated in previous
reply... two threads for the same subject is not a good idea).

>  Ok, my question is: Is there any example target board support stuff
> available for ARC?  Anyone implementing simulator for it and for GDB?

Perhaps I can get something from the board for which I intend to use gcc.
It will be difficult because I don't really know much about the ARC, its
assembly nor the internals of gcc (about anything in fact!). I will try anyway,but whatever I find, I guess that it will be rather "board specific".

>  Having at least some kind of dummy startup would enable one to build
> libiberty and libstdc++ too... Richard Kenner seems to be the maintainer
> of the GCC/ARC-port, but Peter Targett, <peter.targett@arccores.com>
> seems to have maintained the 'gas' port in binutils... The latter could
> know something about ARC-assembly and could already have some 'dummy'
> crt0.S for ARC... Has anyone asked him?

I didn't.

Thank you very much for your detailed explanations.

Angel Manchado