Re: Can't build gcc for embedded ARC cpu

On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 11:19:08PM +0300, Kai Ruottu wrote:

> things... Copying the target headers directly from the newlib sources
> into the '$prefix/$target/include' is one way to struggle against the
> 'entropy', while the '--with-headers=' lets it do what it wants...

Ok, I understand.
By the way, yesterday I found at http://crossgcc.billgatliff.com, the suggestion to use --without-headers for building all-gcc-core and --with-local-prefix=$prefix/$target .
This way, after building newlib the headers stay at the "right" directory,
'$prefix/$target/include' , without the need to explicitly copy them.

(I have found this new crossgcc-FAQ very clear, although still in alpha stage.
I whish I had seen it before: I would have saved a lot of time, work and nuisance for the crossgcc mailing-list' subscribers.
The only caveat I could make is that the final gcc build, after newlib's build is not explicitely explained.
By the way, is this final build done with 'make all' or with 'make all-gcc'?).

>  Just admitting that there are no 'sys_dir' now, is easier and you will
> get newlib built without any ARC-specific in it, only the standard C-

I did it. It worked!

> 'embed.pdf' in the GNUPro docs should help in the principles, how-to

I've started to study it. But presently it's a work that goes beyond my knowledge...
It'll take time :(

Regards

Angel Manchado