RE: Gcc calling wrong assembler

>>    Did you use the --with-gnu-as and --with-gnu-ld flags when you
>> configured the build ?
>
>Yes.
>
>> They should normally take care of this.
>
>AFAICT, arm-elf-gcc will never call "arm-elf-as" (which is what
>I was trying to get it to do).  It will always call "as".  The
>directories in which it will look for "as" are (as Jonathan
>Larmour) displayed when you do "arm-elf-gcc -print-search-dirs".
>
>Putting an "as" in one of those directories makes things work.

  Ah, right you are.  By 'take care of this' I just meant that it will
look in the right places and find the right things, but this does assume
that you have allowed binutils to install itself in the standard places
- in which case you should already have had 'as' in the arm-elf subdir.

>For some reason, I had convinced myself that at some point in
>history I had gotten arm-elf-gcc to call arm-elf-as and
>therefore only needed the binutils programs installed in one
>place instead of two.  That is apparently wrong -- you need
>binutils binaries installed in two places: in my case:
>
>  /usr/local/bin/arm-elf-as
>  /usr/local/arm-elf-bin/as

  Oops, ITYM '/usr/local/arm-elf/bin/as'!  But yeah; Gcc and binutils
are well interwoven with each other, and gcc has some knowledge of how
the binutils installation is structured built in.  If you change that
by removing parts of it at random, don't be surprised when gcc doesn't
work!

  Incidentally, you could probably have still made it work by giving the
configure command the flag --with-as=/usr/local/bin/arm-elf-as as well as
the --with-gnu-as flag:  --with-as specifies the exact path and filename
of the assembler to use, while --with-gnu-as tells gcc that the binutils
command line syntax and assembler format should be used, and also that it
should search the standard binutils install locations if no value has
been supplied to --with-as.

         DaveK
--
" So far, science's crowning achievement, the Atomic Bomb, has not even
been able to alleviate the misery and torture of endless centuries of

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com