Cross-compiling Mingw runtime

Hello,

I've followed instructions on building a cross-compiler
for Mingw Win32 targets on Linux and that seems to work
fine, but I'm now trying to put together a script that builds
the whole lot, including the Mingw runtime and win32api
libraries from source.  I guess this entails cross-compiling
the Mingw runtime, since they are normally built in the
cygwin environment (or seem to be from the instructions).

I don't have much experience building cross-compilers but
it seems I have to build a bootstrap compiler, I've done this,
but am a little stuck with the next bit.  Are there any docs
out there on how to do this?  Can mingw runtime be compiled
without a libc?

Thanks for any help, and sorry if this is all blindingly
obvious...

-Simon.