LD Error - "Not enough room for program headers"

> When linking an image for a powerpc-eabi target (gcc
> version 2.95.2, ld versions 2.9.1, 2.10, 2.11, or
> 2.11.2), I always get a link failure with the error
> message "Not enough room for program headers
> (allocated 2, need 3)". The image links fine if the
> sections are contiguously located. However, dozens
> of
> attempts that I have made over the last several days
> to create non-contiguous sections (or place the data
> section in ROM but link it for being in RAM) have
> failed. Does anyone have an ELF linker script for
> doing this that works?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Addendum: After more experimenting, it appears to me
that several versions of ld have a serious bug. My
512K ROM is located at 0xFFF00000 by hardware, so I
always tried to locate code and data sections within
this address space. However, when I changed the space
origin from 0xFFF00000 to 0x0FF0000, several of my
linker scripts worked. Does anyone have a fix for this
apparent bug?

Thanks,
Alex