Re: Powerpc-eabi, bootstrap compilers...

Joe Sislow wrote:

> > David Korn wrote:
> >
> > >   It sounds like you'd be much better off with powerpc-eabi, which you *can*
> > > use with newlib.
>
> Ok, while I've been messing with other stuff, I decided to try out doing a
> powerpc-eabi build, and I get the following error types (a bunch of 'em) when
> trying to compile the bootstrap:
> ---
> powerpc-eabi-ar: error while loading shared libraries: powerpc-eabi-ar: symbol
> fnmatch, version GLIBC_2.2.3 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time
> reference
> ---
>
> My question is why it's running into GLIBC references?  I specified --with-newlib
> in the configuration.  Are these standard Linux libraries that it's ok to use?

 For me this sounds like having problems with your native compiler/run-time libs
installation, your compiler producing executables which needs the glibc-2.2.3 version
for your installed '/lib/libc.so.6' but your current run-time library is not version
the version 2.2.3...

 In your case I would use the 'objdump -p powerpc-eabi-ar' and look at the last lines
in the output. If this gives the 'GLIBC_2.2.3' there, you must fix your native compiler
first to use some earlier glibc. If you now link against a 2.2.3-version of 'libc.so.6',
the run-time version must be the same version. Sometimes there aren't dependencies and
the executables will work ok with older 'libc.so.6's, sometimes they don't... The
produced 'powerpc-eabi-ar' can be one of these cases...

Cheers, Kai