RE: cross compiler for vxworks 5.3.1

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Anderson, Hollis [mailto:HAnderson@unispherenetworks.com]
>Sent: 17 October 2001 18:51
>
>Hi,

  Hi Hollis,  I did get the mail you sent me at my contact address; I
just haven't had time to deal with it yet, sorry!

>I currently have cygwin environment. I would like to create a
>powerpc cross compiler using gcc 2.95.3 to compile code
>and BSP in a Tornado 1.0.1 (vxworks 5.3.1) installed based.
>
>I see that the Tornado 1.0.1 uses a version of gcc 2.72 from
>a cygnus installation (I think ?).

  Well, hosted under cygwin, but WRS made lots of modifications to the
gcc source specific to their own uses - e.g., the ppc support had only
just been added to gcc at that time and WRS helped find and fix bugs in
it.

>The command line for building was
>make LANGUAGES="c,c++" all 2>&1 | tee build.log

  Oops, typo!! That comma should be a space - it's a bit of an anomaly,
but --enable-languages requires a comma separated list wherease the
LANGUAGES= environment variable must have a space separated list, hence
the need to enclose it in quotes.

>make[2]: Leaving directory
>`/cygdrive/d/work/new-gcc/build-gcc/gcc/intl'
>make[1]: *** No rule to make target `c,c++', needed by `native'.  Stop.
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/work/new-gcc/build-gcc/gcc'
>make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

  Which is almost certainly the direct cause of this error: it is meant
to be trying to "make c" followed by "make c++" I imagine, but the
parsing goes wrong because there's no space so it tries to "make c,c++"
which isn't a target.

  Apart from that, the only advice relating to 5.3/1.0.1 that I have (I
haven't got that version nor tried it myself) is that the binary install
won't work because the header files will be too different, so you will
indeed need to build it yourself and feed your own header files to the
fixincs process.  Also, I did all my work on a vxworks-plus-dosfs2
combination; it is possible that there may be some fixincs that don't
work owing to the header file differences, so you may need to check back
with me if you run into further problems later.

    cheers,
      DaveK
--
Burn your ID card!  http://www.optional-identity.org.uk/
Help support the campaign, copy this into your .sig!

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com