Re: error building linux --> mingw32 C++ cross-compiler

 --- Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com wrote:
> I believe you need to apply patches to the gcc
> source in order to build a
> "good" Mingw32 targetted cross compiler.  You can
> get more info on that at
> http://www.mingw.org.  You can get a script to build
> a working Mingw32
> targetted cross toolchain here:
> http://members.telering.at/jessich/mingw/index.html
>
> Currently, gcc-2.95.3 is the latest version of gcc
> that is supported.  I'm
> sure patches for the gcc-3.0 source tree are in the
> works....
>
> Peace.....
>
> Tom
> My DVD Collection
>

> Matt Sykes <mattmsykes@yahoo.co.uk>
> Sent by: crossgcc-owner@sources.redhat.com
> 11/16/01 07:47 AM
>

>         To:     crossgcc@sourceware.cygnus.com
>         cc:
>         Subject:        error building linux -->
> mingw32 C++ cross-compiler
>

> For several months I've been tying to build a
> linux-->mingw32 C++ cross-compiler.
>
> My build/host machine is gcc-2.96 (RH 7.1).  I am
> trying to build cross-versions of binutils-2.11 and
> gcc-3.0.2 (binutils appears to have worked).
>
> I've gotten the same errors building gcc-2.96,
> gcc-3.0.1, and now for gcc-3.0.2.
>
> The errors come when building libstdc++.

<snip>

Hey thanks, that worked great.  I was even able
to build an i686-mingw32 compiler (though I doubt
it really does much Pentium II optimisations, if
at all).

comments:

1.  Why aren't these patches applied to the 2.95.3 CVS
tree?

2.  It was unclear that such patches were even needed;
there are many docs floating around the net which say
that ./configure with the proper parameters is
sufficient to build a cross mingw compiler (along with
headers and run-time libraries).  Too bad there so
much incorrect and/or old info on the net.

3.  It would have been impossible to find the above
link on mingw cross-compiling without the advice of
this mailing list.  Since this link contains, to my
knowledge, the only working method on building
a cross mingw compiler, could we put it in the FAQ?

Thanks again,

--Matt