Re: i386-linux-aout

On 11/23/2001 12:06:52 PM GMT Yves Rutschle wrote:

>> "i386-linux-aout"? First of all, do I have the correct target?
>
>I think so.
>
>> Yes, I want to use newlib because I have an embedded
>> target and I've followed Bill's directions. I've tried to
>> build on a Linux host machine with both the 2.4.x kernel -
>> could the kernel version be a factor?
>
>Wrong. Linux uses Glibc, regardless of where you put your
>Linux system in the end. The equation "newlib==embedded" is
>wrong; newlib is a C library that throws out most of the
>bloat of Glibc, and is designed to work with no operating
>system, so it makes it arguably suitable for embedded.

Linux aout used a thing called libc4. I don't know whether
it was a hacked glibc or something completely different.

You won't have luck with libc5 or current glibc 2.x versions
on linux 386 aout.

regards,
chris

If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager or  the
sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any one or make copies.

** eSafe AKS_MUC scanned this email for viruses, vandals and malicious content **