Problems with gdb remote debugging (68LC302)

Hi,

I am trying to get remote debugging with gdb to work and I'm presently
stuck with 2 problems. Let ee first describe the development environment
here:

Target system: 68LC302 development board
Host system: Linux

Target and host connected via asynch serial interface.
Cross development tools:

binutils-2.10.2
gcc-2.95.3
newlib-1.9
gdb-5.0/5.1 (tried both)

Built for m68k-coff.

I use the modified gdb stub for 68k which is included in the
newlib/libgloss source.
The stub example in the gdb sources is basically the same.

I connect gdb to the target with

target async /dev/ttyS1

I have the stub basically running, I can examine variables, memory,
program code on the target system, but I have the following problems:

1. Single step
With all single step instructions (step, stepi etc.) gdb says:

(gdb) stepi
The program is running.  Exit anyway? (y or n)

If I say y, gdb quits, if I say n, the target executes the single step.
Could this be a configuration problem? This is with both gdb-5.0 and
gdb-5.1

2. Breakpoints don't work at all.
gdb tries to set a breakpoint with $Z0,134f,2 which the stub does not
support.
In my gdb docs this command is mentioned, but optional. Can I tell gdb
to set the trap instruction via a meory write? I think there must be a
way not to use the Z command, because the gdbstubs project on
sourceforge doesn't support it either.

Of course it would be possible to expand the stub to support the Z
command, but I have the strong feeling that I'm missing something
simple.

Any help, pointers to web sites, docs etc. are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Wolfgang