Re: SH3 G++ Problems/sh-wince-pe

Rainer Keuchel wrote:

> Are there any known issues with g++ 3.0.3 compiling for SH3?

 Please check this from the archives of this list... I remember some people
reporting some problems with SH... I have built a toolset for 'sh-linux-gnu'
(at least) using gcc-3.0.3 sources and it succeeded without any internal
errors or other 'common' things with 'gcc-3.0.x'...

 Generally the gcc-3.0.x is quite unstable. While I got the gcc-3.0.2 built
for 'arm-elf', the 'gcc-3.0.3' crashed when trying to update... 'v850-elf'
was broken but only a simple fix was needed to get it built. But targets
like 'm32r-elf', 'mn10200-elf', 'fr30-elf', 'd30v-elf' etc. have crashed
always when I have tried to build for them...

> I get crashes (NULL pointers) in simple exception code
> and other libstdc++ stuff when executing on target.

 The 'sh-wince-pe' isn't supported even in the current 'gcc-3.1' snapshots
and the patches I have are for the gcc-2.96 snapshots or something from 1999.
Installing them to the RedHat EDK-000221 (gcc-2.9-edk-000221) sources was
easy in 2000... But I have never seen anything newer for the WinCE-targets.

> I compiled gcc using cygwin as host and sh-wince-pe
> as target. Had to make some changes to make it work at all,
> but they cannot be responsible for the crashes.

 If you installed patches for gcc-2.9 into the gcc-3.0 sources, it is quite
possible that they will cause the problems... This is like installing 'almost
fitting parts' from a 1999-car model into a 2002-car model and then not
expecting them to cause the problems seen... It may be so, but suspecting
also them is motivated...

 One way could be to build a toolset for 'sh-coff' and run the crashing programs
(the 'pure' SH-code) in the simulator and to see if they crash in the same way...

 But the WinCE-target is very Windows-like with all kind of '__stdcall' etc.
weirdnesses. The "simple exception code and other libstdc++ stuff when executing
on target" sounds more than weird when we are discussing about a target which is
totally unsupported in the official GCC sources... I would be surprised if anything
would run ok "on target"... I would also claim that there are BIG problems with the
exception code in gcc-3.0.x and the MSVCRT.DLL and CRTDLL.DLL runtimes in the Win32
Mingw-target... The current working GCC is gcc-2.95.3-6 or something for the Win32
hosts...  Seeing via 'www.mingw.org' how well gcc-3.0.x is now running on the native
Windoze, would tell much about WinCE too...

Cheers, Kai