Re: Can't build gcc-2.95.3 with g++ for m68k-elf

"Fritz, Wolfgang" wrote:

> > > I have the following entry in the specs file:
> > >
> > > *link:
> > > %{!T:-T dt.ld%s}
> > >

> I got that from a configuration file in the gcc-2.95.3 gcc/config
> directory (don't remember what target)
>
> >       *link:
> >       %{!Wl,-T*:-T dt.ld%s}
> >
> That sounds logical, but it does not work :-( It is the same as before:
> dt.ld is always used, and I get an linker error like "cannot move
> location counter backwards".
>
> I tried some other variations of that spec like
> %{!Wl,-T:-T dt.ld%s}
> %{!Wl*:-T dt.ld%s}
> but they didn't work either.

 I tried some possible variations and places too, but as you wrote, they
don't work... The must be something special in the 'W' or something...

> Up to now I have not found any docs about spec file syntax, and I think
> I have to find the location of the spec file processing in the gcc
> sources :-(

 Weird, my gcc-2.95.3, gcc-2.9-edk1.0 and gcc-3.0.3 manuals all have the :

Spec Files		How to pass switches to sub-processes.

in the "Invoking GCC"-menu... But I may have copied the text from the two
others into the 'gcc/invoke.texi'. Some time someone wrote the documentation
for the 'specs' file. Maybe it happened after gcc-2.95.x, but the newer
sources include this section. Anyway the docs didn't help to solve this
problem.

Cheers, Kai