RE: build trouble, gcc 2.95.3 i868/powerpc cross compiler

Kai Ruottu wrote:

>  What kind of religion or attitude disables you to copy a prebuilt
> glibc from the target machine or from some other Linux/PPC system
> or from a Linux/PPC distribution on the net (SuSE PPC,
> YellowDog,...) ?
> Then build GCC using it and then possibly updating glibc from its
> sources?  If one wants to build everything from sources, 'start from
> scratch', this is the easy way.

No attitude or religion.  It's for an embedded system.
I tried with newlib because of this page:
http://penguinppc.org/embedded/cross-compiling/
which references "--with-newlib", and also this page:
http://shorterlink.com/?TNTVV7 and others like it,
which claimed to solve the specific problem I was seeing.

Also, I didn't have a usable target machine or a distribution,
it's an IBM walnut 405GB, a pretty bare bones system: processor,
memory, network, serial port, nothing more.  Hence the need
for a cross compiler.

Anyway, I did get the cross compiler to build finally, but it sounds
like I should probably build it again with glibc.

What I was doing wrong (well, _one_ thing I was doing wrong)
was trying to build gcc from inside the source directory,  I
didn't realize you weren't supposed to do that.
(on account of the fact that I'm an idiot)

Thanks.

-- steve